KDE integration/status for Workstation

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 5 18:04:07 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-03-05 at 09:29 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
>> > Yep, and that probably leads back to the question if we want or don't want to
>> > provide more products than we currently have so far (three). And to be honest,
>> > I like idea having more products but with very high bar (that should apply
>> > for all products) - to avoid a situation of having dozens of products but
>> > still be inclusive.
>>
>> All of your subsequent email is perfectly fine, but this thread is
>> focused on what we want to do with KDE in the Workstation product.  If
>> you want to advocate for a KDE product, please take that discussion to
>> the devel list.  I don't want to derail this conversation, and this
>> list isn't the right place to discuss what you're suggesting.
>
> Well. This thread was sparked partly by my FESCo ticket, which is
> written from a project-wide perspective, not a product/WG-specific one.

Yes.

> The project as a whole has skin in this game: it is important to the
> project how the project chooses to deliver KDE, and if the answer is 'in
> more than one way', the relative importance of those ways. The

Yes.

> Workstation WG is free to integrate KDE into their product in any
> appropriate way, of course, but I think the project *as a whole* has a
> say in whether that's our primary method of distributing KDE - how
> heavily it's promoted, how hard it's tested, and whether it blocks our
> releases. In that context, the existence or otherwise and relative
> importance of a KDE spin is obviously significant.

Yes.

However, THIS LIST and THIS THREAD are not the appropriate places to
be having that discussion because you're missing EVERYONE ELSE that
actually has skin in the game.  As I said, this is the thread for
"what does Workstation want to do with KDE".  The broader discussion
needs to be hashed out on the devel list and/or the FESCo ticket.

Put another way, Workstation has said for a while now it wants to
include KDE.  We need to figure out as a product how we're going to do
that and what we need to do to accomplish it.  This is very much
supposed to be the "Workstation WG is free to integrate KDE into their
product in any appropriate way..." part.

josh