kde-runtime

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Wed Mar 5 18:41:11 UTC 2014

Jaroslav Reznik wrote:

> I heard, there were objections to have kdelibs in the tech specs.
> With move to KDE Frameworks 5, it could be raised again, as it's going
> to be more Qt 5 add on modules than old fashioned monolithic kdelibs.

(Sorry for chiming in late), but that was a topic I was about to broach...
(if there was a prior discussion, mind pointing me to the thread?)

I was going to propose considering adding kde-runtime in WG tech-specs.
This will essentially ensure that, well, core runtime bits are already part
of the expected install set.

If there are objections, I'd like to hear them, in case it's something that
can be resolved through compromise and packaging modifications.

I would assume one big issue is size, which is understandable.  Efforts can
definitely be made to split out non-essential functionality to reduce
dependencies and size impact.  That will only go so far of course,
underlying stuff like qt/oxygen-icons can't be cut.

-- Rex