Workstation text on Fedora.next website

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 18:31:19 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 11:55:17AM -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> Hi WG folks,
>
> The following PNG contains the current text on the next-gen website.
> This is material the Marketing and Websites teams and I worked on,
> presented for your feedback.(*)
>
> https://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/images/workstation-page-201411121143.png
>
> There are several immediate questions for the WG to address:
>
> (1) Is the text description of the product acceptable?  If not,
> specifically what changes are needed to make it so?
>
> (2) Is the set of included features acceptable?  If not, specifically
> what changes are needed to make it so?
>

> = = =
>
> (*) To see the work-in-progress site in action, follow this procedure:
>     https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_fix_bugs_on_the_Fedora_Project_website
>     Specifically you'll want to git-checkout the 'getfedora' branch
>     and test the getfedora.org folder.

Some notes about changes already solicited from the WG folks on IRC.
In all cases we'll have matching text and screenshots -- no random
non-matches.

* s/Developers,// at the top blurb

* Replace general GNOME placeholder with Inkscape/GIMP shot and
  supporting text "Create and enhance photos, diagrams, and other
  graphics with free apps like Inkscape and GIMP.  Share your results
  with friends and collaborators."

* Replace COPR placeholder with Devhelp/Glade shot and supporting
  text: "Fedora Workstation gives you a complete set of tools and
  documentation to create and deploy beautiful native apps."

* Replace Docker placeholder with Terminals shot and supporting text:
  "Prefer the command line?  All your favorite utilities are available
  in the Terminal.  Edit and control your source to your heart's
  content."

Also, the photos are being replaced.  The testimonial photo will show
our quoted person, Christine, using the standard GNOME desktop and
terminals where she normally does her daily work on Fedora.

The top photo will also be changed, I'm working with Mo right now to
figure out a better one that properly shows off the GNOME environment.
We are thinking something not-Firefox since the browser is common to
many environments, i.e. not emblematic enough.