Workstation branding on login screen (GDM)

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Oct 3 15:37:35 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-10-02 at 15:29 -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> What if we were to add a new icon into that available space? I'm
> thinking maybe a profile or a human with a thought bubble and a "?" in
> it. That could indicate "help" or "I have a question that needs
> answering."

I think it has already been pointed out that the space is already taken,
for an 'screen rotation lock' icon.

What we have done in RHEL is to put yelp on the dash. That does not
address the fact that yelp is all about "GNOME Help", not about "Fedora
Workstation" - which kinda goes back to our earlier discussion of
shipping Fedora specific documentation / release notes on the image, and
in what form. If we ship it, we can probably make it show up in yelp.

I think that helping users to get in touch with Fedora the project (ie
find websites, irc channels, forums, etc) can be better achieved by a
default page in the browser, or as part of the initial setup (some form
of 'system registration / account setup' step).

Some things I noted while playing with this:

- To get to yelp, you just go to the overview and type 'help' - this is
explained in one of the 'welcome tour' videos.

- To find out what OS you're running, you can similarly go to the
overview and type 'about'.