Workstation branding on login screen (GDM)

Richard Turner rjt at zygous.co.uk
Mon Oct 6 13:04:33 UTC 2014

On 6 October 2014 13:26, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:

> Well, if this was an extension maintained by GNOME developers (like the
> extensions that produce Classic Mode) I think that would be less of an
> issue. I like the idea of making this an extension because (obviously)
> other GNOME distros would not want to be using ask.fp.o for their
> questions.
>
> That said, I'm not sure exactly how the search extensions work; they may
> be a more stable API than the gnome-shell extensions. Someone who
> understands that better is welcome to chime in here :)

Shell extensions that provide search capabilities all broke (again?) with
the release of GNOME 3.12 when some major refactoring was done to Shell's
search sub-system. It looks to me that the API for extensions to register
as search providers has been neglected a bit: there are some Shell
functions that were broken the last time I looked and had been for quite
some time.

The implication is that the preferred way to implement a search provider
now is to build an app that implements a SearchProvider interface (over
D-Bus) and can be launched via D-Bus. How stable the interface is I don't
know, but I'd imagine that implementing a search provider this way is less
likely to break with each GNOME release since messaging via D-Bus is that
little bit further removed from plugging-into Shell's JavaScript API.

--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."