Dropping i686 media for F24

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Mon Aug 24 13:26:47 UTC 2015

Paul W. Frields píše v St 19. 08. 2015 v 14:29 -0400:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/2015-August/
> 001661.html
>
> Stephen Gallagher has proposed a Change for Server to drop i686 media
> for F24.  Given our previous list discussion, this is something for
> which we should probably follow suit.  Thoughts?

Hi,
ambassadors have not produced 32-bit Fedora DVDs since F21, we've come
to a conclusion that there are not ordinary PCs and laptops which are
still 32-bit CPU based and can reasonably run Fedora Workstation.

On the other hand, there are use cases when it makes sense to run a 32
-bit system on a 64-bit PC. I, for instance, installed 32-bit Fedora
Workstation on an Endless PC because it only has 2 GB of memory and 32
-bit software is less memory hungry.

So I think the time for discontinuing it completely hasn't come, but I
think it wouldn't be a problem to move it to the secondary
architectures, right? We still provide it, but with not the same kind
of assurance as 64-bit. Fedora QA wouldn't have to test it so
extensively and it would free their hands for something else.

Jiri