Linux desktop and high resolution laptops

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 09:51:41 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 12:07 AM, Peter Laursen <jazcyk at gmail.com> wrote:
> @drago1 .. you have posted two confilcting statements.
>
> Frist you stated that if *the vertical resolution* ...  And you even wrote a
> specific number (1440)

No I did not Florian did. And he meant "a high dpi display with a
vertical resolution of 1440" not "any display with a vertical
resolution of 1440"

> Next you stated that if *the DPI* ...
> .. there is no simple correlation between monitor resolution and DPI (as
> monitors have different size).

Yes I know a hidpi display is one with ... a high dpi value ;)

What GNOME does is basically this: If the DPI (computed from screen
size *and* resolution) is bigger then 192 it will turn on hidpi
support which means
setting a scale factor of two.

So if you have 2560x1440 display with a size of 22 inch .. it won't do anything.
If you have a 2560x1440 display with a size of 12 inch ... it will
turn on hidpi scaling.