Linux desktop and high resolution laptops

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon Jan 12 09:49:17 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> With Xfce, you have to go to 'settings -> appearance -> fonts' and set
> the dpi up from 96. I use 192. That also doesn't do things fully right.
> It sometimes starts apps on login before it makes the dpi change and
> you have to restart them, or sometimes window title fonts or the like
> have to be adjusted in size. Overall however it works just fine.
>
> I don't know about KDE.

In KDE, the same is possible 'System Settings -> Appearance -> Fonts' and
'Force Fonts DPI'. Other place to make the experience better is to set
icons size and then various tweaking of decorations sizes etc. So it can
be tuned up but it's still not yet there. On the other hand, this way it's
possible to get working set up where GNOME x2 way is not usable at all -
on semi HiDPI displays like Carbon X1 has and if you add combination of
this semi HiDPI with non HiDPI external displays... Welcome hell. After
some tweaking I was able to find Fonts DPI value + all other values I
mentioned to not to have everything too small on X1 and not to have it
too big on external LCDs.

But there's bright future - Plasma 5 is designed to work with HiDPI
and there's also promise to work on HiDPI/no HiDPI support. On the other
hand pure Qt choose to go with simple x2 as Gtk (at least for now, I know
initial patches supported non-integer scale factor).

> Overall, we can always improve, but hidpi screens are completely usable
> now under linux (and have been for a long while).

So in the end, my combo of Plasma 5 and custom tweaks means I have pretty
usable setup but it is still very hackish unless you have a real HiDPI
LCD (and no combo of HiDPI/non HiDPI displays).

And then switch to console (with defaults ;-).

Jaroslav