Windows Dual Boot, with Secure Boot, release criteria

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Jan 15 22:13:05 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 2:55 PM, Elad Alfassa <elad at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> So yes, secure boot not working should be a release blocker.

Ok so a general purpose "Fedora should boot when UEFI Secure Boot is
enabled" criterion needs to be created. Any suggestion on what release
this should block? beta? final? alpha?

> Windows failing to boot from grub with secure boot enabled is a different
> story. If users can pick Windows in their firmware's boot device menu and it
> boots and grub is simply failing to chainload it, then it's much less
> critical of an issue, so I'm not sure if it should be a blocker, but it's
> still a thing we probably want to work too, because it not working does hurt
> the dual-boot user experience a bit.

Some manufacturers are not enabling USB or the keyboard at firmware
initialization time in order to get faster boots. So it's not
guaranteed the user can get to the firmware's built-in boot manager.
In such a case, the user would need to boot Fedora (since they have no
choice), and then use efibootmgr to change the BootNext NVRAM variable
(or they can change BootOrder). So that'd need some better
documentation probably.

--
Chris Murphy