3rd Party Applications and Fedora Workstation

Nikos Roussos comzeradd at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 20 12:28:57 UTC 2015

On 01/19/2015 08:28 PM, Christian Schaller wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> So I just posted a blog (1) updating the world on some of the changes are expecting in Fedora Workstation 22. One of the features I would love us
> to take advantage off is the 3rd party repository support that Richard Hughes has added into GNOME Software (2).

There is a balance here to be found between usability and Fedora values.
I'm always of the opinion that you can't defend users' freedom by
removing from them the freedom of choice. So overall this is in the
right direction.

But the users should make an educated decision on whether they want to
install non-free software. The screenshot on rhughes' blog doesn't
really achieve that, but I understand it's just a demo text at the moment.

On the usability front, it's also important to understand that what
cause pain to our users is not the lack of Chrome but the lack of
codecs. Developers don't just use their laptops to code, but also to see
movies or play music. So does this feature overcome the legal
implications of including such 3rd party repos, since we just include
the metadata? (elephant in the room: rpmfusion).

~nikos