concern over fedora's meeting videos

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 01:41:54 UTC 2015

hi
I found an article about it on planet fedora. Let me see if I can get
an exact link. I know the council uses irc channels like most of
fedora, but they also use video for some things, I'm sorry, I'm not
clear on exactly what they use it for. Let me get that link. Here we
are, http://tirfa.com/supporting-open-source-video-conferencing.html.
This was on the planet fedora site.
Thanks
Kendell clark

Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-06-10 at 19:47 -0500, kendell clark wrote:
>> hi Ah, then my email wasn't needed then. I'd still rather fedora
>> used an oss tool to do this, but I trust fedora knows what it's
>> doing, and will switch when one that's good enough comes around.
>> Thanks Kendell clark
>
> I didn't realize the Council uses Google Hangouts for
> communication. Are you sure; where did you read that? That's
> extremely surprising and would be contrary to Fedora's mission,
> since it's impossible to use Hangouts without installing nonfree
> software on your computer. It's not as if we don't already have
> good FOSS solutions for video calls: either XMPP Jingle or SIP
> would work. (But this is definitely the wrong mailing list for this
> discussion....)
>
> Aside: you can also use Epiphany for Google hangouts. You have to
> install the nonfree plugin, but then it works. The maintainer of
> Orca also works on accessibility for WebKit, the rendering engine
> used in Epiphany, so she makes sure accessibility is well-supported
> (once you figure out how to turn on caret browsing with F7).
>
> Aside #2: I searched the Chromium source tree for "accessibility"
> and "ATK" and found no shortage of results for each. It looks like
> they have a bundled copy of ATK.
> https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src.git/+/0e9bcce45c1247925
9c705a07a6b4b1e73b84bf2

is interesting; not sure what to make of it besides that they deleted
all their Linux