frustrated with the state of linux accessibility

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 20:58:39 UTC 2015

hi
You guys sure have. Gnome 3 is already quite accessible, and turning
on orca "just works". My rant was mainly aimed at developers who, for
one reason or another, either don't know how to, don't want to, or
will not fix accessibility issues. There are some unlabeled controlls
in gnome, lots of unlabeled buttons in the settings parts of gnome, as
well as duplicate buttons and combo boxes in the power settings. I'll
 wait for gnome 3.16 before I start filing bugs since you guys are
busy trying to get that out the door. I will raise one issue now
though. I've heard that the message tray is gone, and in f22, it is.
Notifications have been moved to the calendar, which is accessible,
I've used it. But how do I get to applications that formally resided
in the message tray without resorting to the mouse? Could a keyboard
shortcut be added in 3.16 that would jump to that area? I only ask
because if a blind person has to resort to a mouse to get to status
applets, it will seriously slow us down
Thanks
Kendell clark
Sent from Fedora GNU/Linux