Why people are not switching to Fedora

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Mon May 11 23:55:40 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-05-11 at 15:34 -0400, Christian Schaller wrote:

> So to me the only thing that would be needed to make this a bit
> smoother is maybe
> some way for Grub or similar to be aware of your situation and
> unless there are major
> security issues maybe suggest you keep booting with the old kernel
> for a bit? (maybe easier
> said than done?).

Or just do so automatically, if grub could become that smart.

> But the assumption that as soon as a new Fedora kernel is out you
> HAVE
> to start using it seems to be creating problems for ourselves that
> doesn't need to be the
> case?

Well users shouldn't have to understand what a kernel is, much less be
forced to choose between them during boot. We should pare the GRUB
boot menu down to the basics: there should be one entry for "Fedora"
and that's it, one for "Windows," one for each other OS, and no boot
menu at all if only Fedora is present. Offering to boot multiple
kernels throws confusing technical details right in the user's face.

Michael