Fedora 22 update security

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Wed May 13 12:49:34 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-05-13 at 09:33 +0100, Nethaji wrote:
> I always have a root account on my system and add a user after every
> new
> installation using 'useradd' command. I do not create a user at the
> time
> of installation.
>
> The sudo command does not work on my account as the user is not in
> the
> sudoers list. The user's name is not in the wheel group either. I
> usually never add a sudoer to the system.

Actually, sorry, Matthew and I were wrong. We do allow unprivileged
users to run software updates (provided all of the updates are
cryptographically signed by Fedora). You can configure this behavior
manually by creating a file in /etc/polkit-1/rules.d with the following
contents (untested, should work):

polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
    if (action.id == "org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-update") {
        return polkit.Result.AUTH_ADMIN;
    }
});

Then unprivileged users should no longer be able to run updates.

Hope that helps,

Michael