DevAssistant vs. Interface Guidelines (Applications installed by default)

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at daitauha.fr
Tue Sep 8 16:54:11 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-09-08 at 18:34 +0200, Tomas Radej wrote:
> What's the intended approach when we want to provide the Web UI for
> non-GNOME users too? I assume it's having two desktop files, one with
> OnlyShowIn=GNOME, but what about the other?

You could use the opposite: NotShowIn=GNOME

But then, what URL will that web app point to?

Will it point to localhost? (and if so, what will start the local DA
server? and what about deployments using a remote server?)

Will it point to a remote DA server? (but then... what happens if there
is no DA server running at that address? and what about using a local
server?)

All in all, with that client/server architecture, I'm not sure it makesmuch sense to have a web app installed with an RPM, pointing to a URL which might not exist, requiring some action from the user before they can run the app. (either changing the URL to point ot their remote server, or starting the local server)

Maybe it is better to not ship a desktop file, but merely let the user
connect to their DA server by opening the right URL in their preferred
browser? (either manually, or with a CLI tool like da-gui in your
proposal)

That doesn't seem like too much of a hardship for developers. :)

--
Mathieu