DevAssistant vs. Interface Guidelines (Applications installed by default)

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Tue Sep 8 17:04:26 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-09-08 at 18:34 +0200, Tomas Radej wrote:
> What's the intended approach when we want to provide the Web UI for
> non-GNOME users too? I assume it's having two desktop files, one with
> OnlyShowIn=GNOME, but what about the other?
>
> I'm not very seasoned (i. e. not at all) in Desktop things, so I'd
> like
> to ask for a hint.
>
> Thanks,

Hm. The desktop file with xdg-open is probably the best answer for
other desktops that we have right now; you would use NotShowIn=GNOME in
the desktop-agnostic desktop file, and OnlyShowIn=GNOME in the GNOME
web app's desktop file. But this is not a very good answer since it
requires duplicate desktop files and special treatment for GNOME.

Michael