Darktable Copr

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Thu Sep 10 12:47:39 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-09-10 at 08:13 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> On 09/09/2015 06:20 PM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> > Hm... we want to keep Darktable featured in GNOME Software. But I
> > think
> > we are taking the anti-bundling crusade a bit too far, especially
> > considering we're about to *mandate* bundling for the *vast
> > majority*
> > of libraries by nature of xdg-app.
>
> FWIW this application is critical to my workflow getting things done
> in
> Fedora; it's not optional and is a needed application. I know it is
> for
> others using Fedora for design work - including the Fedora design
> team -
> as well:
>
> 1) Now that it's been retired from F23, what is going to happen when
> we
> do an upgrade from F22 to F23? Is the F22 version going to remain on
> our
> systems, potentially in a broken and unusable state? It doesn't seem
> that it would be possible for me to get the newer version as part of
> the
> system upgrade, unless there was some logic in place to add the copr
> somehow and upgrade as part of the process (since we already clearly
> opted in to running the software?)

The upgrade process is going to be somewhat tricky. I'm not sure
exactly how it will behave (it'll depend on whether the F22 version
depended on any libraries that had an ABI break on F23). Adding the
ability to automatically-enable the COPR is a very difficult problem.

We may in fact actually want to arrange it so that the package is
completely removed on upgrade (so that users can then go and get it
from GNOME Software again). Not an ideal solution, but perhaps the
only one that could be accomplished in the remaining time.

Unfortunately, this is a classic problem for retired packages. I've
often wondered if Fedora shouldn't have a special meta-package in the
repository (installed by default) that Obsoletes: packages that have
been retired (thereby ensuring that they are removed). But this is
getting a little off-topic.

The short version is that what will likely happen is that the old
version will remain if it meets the deps or the upgrade will fail its
dependency check and not be possible to run until the offending
packages were manually uninstalled.

> 2) Is the Fedora Design Suite still going to be able to be built
> with
> Darktable in it, or will it have to be treated as a remix now and
> renamed?
>
> 3) For fresh installs of F23, how involved is it to enable a copr
> and
> install darktable from GNOME software?

Done right, it should be pretty much the same experience as if it was
in the official repos, except with a click-through acknowledging that
it's not coming from us, but a semi-official third-party.