Darktable Copr

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Thu Sep 10 13:17:46 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-09-10 at 09:13 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> On 09/10/2015 08:47 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > The short version is that what will likely happen is that the old
> > version will remain if it meets the deps or the upgrade will fail
> > its
> > dependency check and not be possible to run until the offending
> > packages were manually uninstalled.
>
> If the upgrade fails its dep check, is it going to be obvious what
> things the user needs to remove and how in order to proceed with the
> upgrade?
>
> I think it's ideal for the old version to remain if the deps are met
> - I
> think it would be a very jarring (at best) user experience to boot
> up
> your freshly upgraded system and have random things that you
> intentionally installed missing for no apparent reason.

The problem with the old version remaining is bit-rot. But it's
definitely less jarring, sure.

> > > 2) Is the Fedora Design Suite still going to be able to be built
> > > with
> > > Darktable in it, or will it have to be treated as a remix now and
> > > renamed?
> > >
> > > 3) For fresh installs of F23, how involved is it to enable a copr
> > > and
> > > install darktable from GNOME software?
> > >

> > Done right, it should be pretty much the same experience as if it
> > was
> > in the official repos, except with a click-through acknowledging
> > that
> > it's not coming from us, but a semi-official third-party.
>
> Is there a system currently in place to enable these click-thrus?
> How
> are they meant to display / what is the intention there? The first
> time
> you run Darktable, as some kind of splash? Or a clickthrough when
> you
> download the design suite from our website?
>
> ~m

The click-through happens when you click "Install" in GNOME Software
(IIRC). No changes are made to the running software.

The Design Suite question is a really tough one. Darktable is no
longer in the standard Fedora repositories, so I'm not sure how
exactly one could produce Design Suite install media that includes it
(short of becoming a Remix, which is a heavyweight solution).