acpi confusion

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Sat Aug 9 23:23:56 UTC 2003

acpi does a lot of things.  the reason your laptop runs hot is that acpi
is required to keep it cool.  acpi controls power levels, throttling,
etc., which you _really_ want on - i _hightly_ suggest you do not run
your laptop without it, or you risk severely damaging the hardware.

so far as the sound card, acpi _also_ controls the configuration of
devices.  if the acpi system configures the card wrong, slow-playback
may be one side-effect.  with recent linux acpi versions, any problems
you have are quite likely to be in the machine's bios (where the acpi
code is stored) rather than linux; you might want to check w/ the linux
acpi project to see if anyone has a corrected dsdt for your machine.

you can configure the kernel to use acpi for power management (i.e.,
keeping your laptop from over heating or eating the battery life), but
keep the configure stuff off (so standard plug-n-play detection stuff is
used).

http://acpi.sf.net i believe is the sight for linux acpi information and
so on.

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 19:07, seth vidal wrote:
> Hi all,
>  So I have an ibm x23 laptop. nothing terribly fancy. With severn I
> noticed that the sound played far too slowly. Meaning - when I played an
> ogg it sounded like it was being played at the wrong speed if it were a
> record.
>
> So I filed a bug about it b/c the sound worked under rhl 9 just fine.
> The suggestion was to disable acpi and see if that fixed it.
>
> it did. the sound works as expected now. However, the laptop runs a lot
> hotter than it used to.
>
> So I was wondering if someone could explain the acpi stuff in more
> details. It was proposed to me by someone on #rhl-devel that maybe
> someone here could give an uncensored summary of the acpi stuff in the
> kernel and it's relative stability level, etc.
>
> Thanks
> -sv
>

> --
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.