GNOME 2.4 in Cambridge

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Mon Aug 11 23:39:15 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 17:51, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> skvidal at phy.duke.edu (seth vidal) writes:
>
> >> What is with non-simultaneous logins? How can I prevent the
> >> .fonts.cache-regeneration-memorial-minute after logging in on
> >> another machine?
> >
> > hmm I've not experienced that. Can you describe it some more
>
> ~/.fonts.cache-1 is shared between machines whose font-directories might have
> different timestamps. When started on machine A, the ~/.fonts.cache-1 file
> can contain the timestamps of machine B and applications will regenerate the
> cache therefore.  The same repeats on machine B because fonts.cache-1 has now
> the machine A timestamps. Now, the recursion starts at A again...

If you always run fc-cache on the parent directory (*) of any place you
install fonts, then this shouldn't be an issue.

~/.fonts.cache-1 is only for font directories that don't have proper
fonts.cache-1 files in them.

Regards,
					Owen

(*) Parent directory or directory itself depends on the details, but
    if you install stuff in /usr/share/fonts/foo it's better
    to run fc-cache /usr/share/fonts.