bug fixes/patches and developer round-trip time

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Fri Aug 15 14:25:54 UTC 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 12:24:55PM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
> Whether that requires new priorization for developers, giving out CVS
> commit access, or whatever, I don't know .. but the situation MUST
> improve, and soon.

Prioritization doesn't scale - you can only prioritize so many
things/patches.

One real fix here is bug triage improvement (as I discussed at length
in an earlier mail) - see
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/gnome-23-report.html which has quick links
to all bugs with patches for example.

The other real fix is commit access to non-RH developers, so we can
increase the number of people who can apply a patch.

In my opinion our focus/priority has to be on making the project
scalable by allowing external contribution, if we focus on doing
all/more work ourselves we will just get further and further behind as
more people try to contribute.

Making external contribution possible and then getting a significant
number of contributors will be a long process, so don't be too
impatient.

Havoc