gconfd logs

Konstantin Riabitsev icon at linux.duke.edu
Mon Aug 25 13:30:43 UTC 2003

Hello, all:

This is aimed at Havoc mostly -- I think it's a bad idea to i18n-ize the
stuff that goes into syslog, which is what gconfd currently does. We
have many users using various languages, and it doesn't help to see
gconfd error reports in Chinese or Korean. Can we just stick to English
for the backend stuff that the user never sees?

Alternatively, it would be good to have two settings for the locale --
one for the user currently logged in at the console, and another set by
the sysadmin for the stuff they want to see in the logs.

Really, seeing error reports in Chinese does me little good, and can't
be analyzed by various log-reporting tools.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
--
Konstantin ("Icon") Riabitsev