recent redhat-artwork/Bluecurve updates (w/ screenshots)

Garrett LeSage garrett at redhat.com
Tue Aug 26 22:08:02 UTC 2003

Gerald Henriksen wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:40:36 -0400, you wrote:
>

>>I figured that it made sense to have the larger icons for the time being
>>so that some of the icon sizing stuff might get sorted out. I will
>>probably switch back the icons to the smaller size regardless -- it
>>depends on what makes the most sense, though.
>>

>Well I also vote for the smaller size icons after my brief try of the
>new theme today.

I have reverted the icon size in CVS (probably to the relief of many,
including myself after a few days of usage).  It should be in the next
version of redhat-artwork.

>However to me the biggest problem (and why I have gone back to the
>original version) is the removal of the visual hints of the boundaries
>of the in use window.
>
>With the original version there appears to be some 3D hinting as well
>as the blue corners at the bottom.  Thus I can quickly see the limits
>of the current window on a screen that as 10 or so applications open.
>
>The new version I found that the various applications blended together
>and I had to stop and think which part of the screen belonged to the
>app I was using and which was from an app that was behind the current
>one.

I'll have to think about this one a bit.  I removed the corner handles
because they did not really indicate resizing after I thought about it
(as you could really resize from any corner).  The handles merely
indicated where a diagonal resize would take place.  I really like the
new borders where it puts less of an emphasis on the theme itself and
makes the window frame feel more like a part of the application window.

I will try thinking of some alternatives, but I'm not going to promise
anything at this point.  No matter what changes, someone will like it
better one way than the other.  I want to try to do what's best.

Garrett