feedback and request for help with x86_64 preview

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Dec 30 08:01:26 UTC 2003

Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> also ensure my BIOS is up to date (possibly not).
>
> So, my first question is has anyone successfully installed fc1_x86_64 on
> an MSI mobo?
> The list archives seem to indicate it's been tried on ASUS, Tyan and
> others, but no explicit mention of MSI or K8T Neo.

I own exactly the MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R Athlon64 motherboard, and it is the
most problematic piece of crap that I have ever owned.  Using both the
1.0 and 1.1 BIOS I have several strange issues, bad enough that the
company that sold me the system is willing to RMA the motherboard and
replace it with another brand.

Unfortunately I do not use SATA so I cannot speak for anything about
that feature, but I have several other major issues with this motherboard.

1) Most of the time my USB keyboard is completely unable to function
during post in order to get into the BIOS menu, or to choose settings in
GRUB.  Setting Legacy USB options in the BIOS seems to not help the
situation.  Sometimes the USB keyboard inexplicably works, then after a
reboot it doesn't.

2) http://togami.com/~warren/archive/2003/rhel3amd64-panic.jpg
Booting any AMD64 Linux kernel almost immediately causes a kernel panic
due to corruption of the RIP instruction register.  Whenever it comes
back from the HLT instruction, the top 32bits are zeroed out rather than
retaining the bits like they should.  Some kernel guys have said that
they ran into this issue with Asus nForce3 motherboard which was
resolved by a BIOS update.  MSI took nearly 1 month to respond to my
initial query about this problem, and

3) Booting just gets STUCK during various stages of POST, sometimes in
GRUB, or sometimes a random kernel crash during bootup.  Sometimes GRUB
says an error like "Invalid Geometry".  This problem seems to occur
randomly, sometimes refusing to boot for an entire day, and some other
days working completely with 100% stability without any problems.  I'm
totally confused by this behavior.

4) Various PCI cards like 3c905C-TXM or SoundBlaster Live Value render
the system totally unbootable, getting stuck with the above problem 100%
of the time.  These cards work perfectly all of my other systems, while
I tested all PCI slots of the MSI Neo motherboard.  I seem to need to
totally remove all PCI cards from the system in order to have any chance
of booting.

As a whole I have been totally unimpressed by this motherboard due to
these problems, and furthermore have been very unhappy about MSI's
technical support.  I would recommend going for another brand of
Athlon64 motherboard... although I hear that their dual Opteron
motherboard based on the AMD8111 chipset rather than VIA is okay.

Warren