BitTorrent enabled downloads & updates

Elijah P Newren newren at math.utah.edu
Thu Jul 24 21:53:30 UTC 2003

Sorry for the cross-posting.  I originally posted this idea on #fedora
at irc.freenode.net and Anvil suggested I email these two lists with
this idea.  My idea was the following:

   Have apt-get/yum/up2date/<insert favorite packaging system here>
   use BitTorrent for file downloads.

This would have the following benefits:
   Users would get a much faster download rate (at least, that's
     been my experience for the downloads I've done with
     BitTorrent).
   It would alleviate the 'which mirror should I use' problem.
   Anyone could easily become a mirror.
   It should keep any specific mirror from getting overloaded.

I figured this made so much sense that someone else has already thought
of it and perhaps already implemented it.  Anyone know if that's the
case?  If not, does that idea sound interesting to others?

Elijah