AMD 64 support

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Wed Nov 5 14:02:49 UTC 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 06:48:27AM -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
 > We need to have some time ourselves to volunteer to do some of
 > the things that need to be done.  The most major thing for each
 > architecture without question, is the kernel.  The kernel needs
 > work done for every architecture, and that is a LOT of hard work
 > that needs experienced knowledgeable kernel guru hands on it.
 > Right now Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> I hear is hacking on the
 > AMD64 kernel for Fedora Core 1.  I don't know if any other kernel
 > folk are working with Dave on that or if he's doing it himself.

RHEL AMD64 guru Jim Paradis has lent a hand, and most of the
nptl fixes in the current Fedora kernel are based on the work
he did for RHEL. Thanks Jim 8-)

 > Wrong.  Rawhide has the latest of everything.  We're not holding
 > back or hiding *ANYTHING*.  Fedora Core and rawhide contain the
 > absolute latest support for anything and everything we have to
 > offer.

Except when the packages are really experimental, when they
end up on our people pages instead. (http://people.redhat.com/davej/amd64
for example)

 > This wont happen overnight, and neither will an AMD64 port of
 > Fedora, nor an Alpha port - both of which I'm interested in.

Indeed. Whilst amd64 kernel is proceeding, it's a spare time
project, which has to compete with other spare time projects
which all compete for 'spare' time. Yesterday I spent the day
chasing RAID problems so no work at all got done on amd64 for eg.

It'll all happen, it just takes time.

		Dave