FC2 and general LDAP Support

Nils O. Selåsdal nos at utel.no
Wed Nov 26 14:20:42 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 15:24, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Roland K=E4ser?= wrote:
> Yeah but what i ment is that fc2 should come with a fully initialized
> ldap server. It's also possible that in a first step only the users and
> groups are saved in the ldap. As i said in the first mail, Samba ships
> command line tools for adding, modifying and deleting users from a bash
> shell. The only thing needed to change is to replace the "normal"
> useradd, usermod, userdel, groupadd, groupmod and groupdel by the ones
> shipped with samba. For the normal user it wouldn't make any changes in
> the "feeling" of  the administration. From my point of view, a GUI admin
> tool doesn't needs to support all the complete ldap features, it should
> only be a easy to use administration interface - excuse this analogy -
> like the active directory frontend.
My point also. Though due to nss, it is not needed, it might complicate
things, it's yet-another-really-not-needed-daemon, overkill for most
users.
Using something like libuser, it would be easy to have a unified
userinterface for users/groups regarless of wether they are in text file
or an ldap server.

The question is ofcourse, _why_ should ldap be used as a backend for
this, for _all_ users ?

--
Vennlig hilsen/Best Regards
Nils Olav Selåsdal