FC2 and general LDAP Support

Roland Käser roli at israel-jugendtag.ch
Wed Nov 26 15:12:52 UTC 2003

Look at the mail from Nicolas Mailhot. This is one of my points. Now, we
have all the configuration stuff spread over a lot of configuration
files. This structure is matured since the first version of Unix. But to
maintain all this files become more worse over the time. Yet the KDE
comes with a lot of new configuration files so on with every other
application on the whole system. The redmond bill hat not that many good
ideas but the one with the registry was a good one. If we wanna make
linux become a more professional operating system and feels in a more
homogeneous way. We need to replace all this fragments of configuration
spread nearly over the whole file system by an more professional way of
an configuration concept. It doesn't needs all to be changed by the next
fedora release but I strongly think that to store all the configuration
settings inside a centralized configuration store whould  anymore
enhance the release.  And nicolas has right; if we are the first ones
who forces this concept it probably becomes a standard in the linux
distributions.
And for an other benefit, think about the possibilities of hanging a
centrailized configuration store for all workstations an servers on big
network. All the workstation configurations are stored in one single
place (with backup servers of corse) and needs only to be maintaind at
this place. I can imagine the next TCO studies from all the business
analysts for comparing windows with linux. The TCO of linux whould come
extremly down by using a such concept.
Was that enough arguments for establishing a ldap server for the user
records.

Roland

--
Roland Käser
Bocksrietstr. 54

 ** Schon vom Israel-Jugendtag gehört? **