Can we fix the backspace key?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed Dec 15 07:19:44 UTC 2004

Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 09:54 -0800, Don Mahurin wrote:
>
>>Is there any way that we can undo the backwards backspace/delete key
>>bindings that were introduced in Redhat 6.2?
>>
>>http://web.purplefrog.com/~thoth/philosophy/backspace-delete.html
>>
>>So we could again have the standard bindings of Backspace=^H and Delete=^?
>

> Fedora follows the Debian backspace configuration:
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s9.8
>
> has details and rationale. It will not be changed. Inconsistent
> configuration is far worse than any consistent configuration.
>
> Regards,
> 							Owen

If we still follow the debian backspace configuration then why is kbs
for xterm ^H according to ncurses?

Don't get me wqrong I think its a fine idea to follow the debian keyb
guidelines as we've done for a while, but with FC3 we are not following
them consistently.

Afaik gnome-terminal and konsole send ascii-del for backspace, but xterm
sends ctrl-H and ncurses contains ctrl-H for the xterm terminfo entry.

So that is NOT consistent.

Regards,

Hans