Fedora Core 2 Distribution Size - The separated OS

Jim Cornette cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Jan 6 23:10:17 UTC 2004

Thomas Munck Steenholdt wrote:

>>On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 01:43:34PM +0100, Thomas Munck Steenholdt wrote:
>>

>>>The only point, as I see it, is the matter of media, which IMHO should
>>>be
>>>solved by providing a DVD .iso file in addition to the CD .isos... One
>>>disc
>>>for everything!!!
>>>

>>Someone posted a script to generate a DVD iso from the others I believe.
>>
>>There are good reasons for trying to get a base setup down to 1 or 2 CD's
>>(and for
>>workstation with basic languages it is btw in FC1). Firstly if you have a
>>really dodgy
>>CD drive then doing a minimal install of CD then using yum to pull the
>>rest off another
>>box is a lifesaver. Secondly for plenty of people 3 CD's is a lot of date,
>>and a great
>>way to exceed broadband limits in many places if they have broadband.
>>

>>Alan
>>

>You're right... But I would personally prefer if packages were rearranged
>on the CD's rather than making different "products" out of them.

Since the development packages are not installed by default and also
seem to depend upon other development packages. It seems that they can
be relocated to the final CD. I think that if someone wants to make a
basic CD, they would find out that there is not a whole lot of fat with
the current distribution size.

As a reference, I tried Lorma, which is one CD and a lot of things I
missed. (GNOME, mc, lynx, up2date and a variety of other tools.) I
eventually installed yum and up2date, set links to repositories, but it
was too much work for time, too many strategic manuevers and a lot more
dependacy conflicts and downloading problems.

Like Lorma did with getting the distro down to one CD, college students
or someone who really wants to spend the time to come up with a one CD
(or floppy) distribution.

My thought is that with one large pool of software, you don't have to
add and edit links to extras, testing, updates, livna etc. If
flexibility is desired though, splintering the repositories into
specialized categories might help with attracting developers to the
particular interests. This would draw gamers to the "games" area and
"multimedia" sectors for development.

We could split up the repositories to reflect the GNOME main menu. (-:{

>Mayby thats all a matter of definition of "product", but i really like to
>have it all in one big package.
>Perhaps packages could be rearranged so that a personal system could be
>installed off CD 1 - no need for the other CDs... Making CD2 bootable too,
>could allow a server installation to be carried out from that with no need
>for other CDs. etc etc etc...
>The entire installation would then be exactly as it is today, only you
>could bo with only a subset of the discs!
>
>And if anyone's interested, the DVD build script, that Chris Kloiber made
>is available here:
>ftp://people.redhat.com/ckloiber/mkdvdiso.sh

Thanks for the link. I just got a DVD-RW and was about to search for the
script.

Jim

--
Most of our lives are about proving something, either to ourselves or to
someone else.