gnome-vfs not in Rawhide?

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Thu Apr 7 18:08:37 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 07:47:33PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le jeudi 07 avril 2005 à 10:52 -0500, Chris Adams a écrit :
> > Users don't care about the libraries though; it's all about the apps.
>
> Believe me, when using an old lib like gtk+ that directly translates
> into "you will only use acsii, else" they _do_ care about the lib
> factor.

Indeed.  I study Japanese as well, and have some ogg files whose tags
are in Japanese.  Rhythmbox works perfectly well for displaying them.
xmms gives utter gibberish.

I care about the apps.  And that means being biased against anything
which can't display languages other than English (or just Western
European languages.)  Since essentially everything using gtk+ works
poorly with multiple charsets, that's a bias against gtk+.  (Yes,
sylpheed's stable version works pretty darn well with gtk+ and Japanese.
It's much more the exception than the rule, though.)

Internationalization is *hard* with gtk+.  CJK support and complex rendering
language support requires thinking in all sorts of ways that programmers who
speak only Western European languages don't usually.  gtk2, pango, and
fontconfig make it almost automatic.  So I don't think I'm too crazy here.

John Thacker