Firefox etc. default homepage

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Sun May 8 10:53:26 UTC 2005

lør, 07.05.2005 kl. 14.32 skrev Kyrre Ness Sjobak:
> Today we use the release notes as standard homepage for all browsers,
> instead of whatever is upstream default. Why do we do that, while
> constantly repeating the mantra "upstream!, upstream!, upstream!"?
>
> In my personal opinion, the release notes belong in "help" or something
> like that (even a shortcut on the standard desktop would be more
> intuitive) - not as the standard homepage in every browser.
>
> This confuses people, and addmitedly, the release notes aren't that much
> usefull to the users as the standard homepage - especially in firefox,
> where the standard is:
> http://www.google.no/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:nb-NO:official
> which is simply a google search with some hints on using firefox etc.
>
> Kyrre Ness Sjøbæk

Just to sum up:

- Homepage should be a local file, as we cannot thrust Internet/DNS/etc.
to be working, as the user migth see and error message "cannot connect
to host blah blah".
- Release notes should be easily accessable
- Release notes should probably not be the #1 documentation shown
- Documentation/release notes should be easily accessable from somewhere
else, as users tend to change their homepage
- Don't give users info they haven't asked for

Any big disagreements? What should be done (should anything be done)?

Kyrre