REQUEST: OpenLDAP 2.3.7

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Sun Sep 18 02:27:38 UTC 2005

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 02:54:20AM +0200, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
>
>>Altough I generally dislike threaded programs and expecially
>>those who spin on locks instead of designing a proper arbitration
>>scheme for shared resources, I consider the new kernel behavior
>>unfair and bogus.
>
> is it? "sched_yield" means "give up the cpu to lower priority processes",
> because, frankly, if there were higher priority ones.. they'd already be
> running. So what else does it mean?

It's more meaningful to interpret sched_yield() as "give up the processor,
as if the scheduler quantum had expired".

The scheduler wouldn't normally allow a lower priority process to
preempt a high-priority ready process for 30+ ms.  Unless I'm
mistaken about Linux's scheduling policy...

\X/  http://www.develer.com/