Move Evolution to Extras?

Lyvim Xaphir knightmerc at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 27 19:05:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 09:09 -0800, Sean Bruno wrote:

> Isn't Evolution sort of, kind of, maintained by our fair friends over at
> Novell/Suse ?  Does that have anything to do with this "Death to Evo"
> thread?
>
> The only over riding reason to _still_ use Evolution is to interface
> directly to a MS Exchange server.
>
> I happen to use it out of habit, not because it's better/worse.  I
> perceive the mail filtering rules to be easier to configure and more
> robust than Thunderbird, but that may be _MY_ perception.

No, you are exactly right.  Evo was originally conceived to be a
competitor for Outlook (otherwise known in some circles as Outhouse) and
in fact it does an excellent job at that.

There were alot of bells and whistles added to get it to compare to
Outlook, which basically had the effect of making Evo user friendly.
That's because the overriding design consideration of Outlook is to
cater to the user.  (I am in no way an O-fan, but I have to deal with it
for other people's sake).

Evo provides a user alternative in the linux world for Outlook, and
gives people another reason to migrate to Linux.  I've used it as a rail
greaser many times, and it works.

It also blows away any excuses corporate pinheads might have for NOT
integrating linux boxen into an Exchange network.

> Sean

LX