The future of Linux - architecture and package inter-dependencies

Kaimano haydude at ezplanet.net
Mon Feb 20 11:56:07 UTC 2006

> On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 12:33 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>> On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 11:13 +0000, Kaimano wrote:
>
>> > The core e-Mail application is evolution 2.0. A bug is found on
>> evolution
>> > which requires upgrading to the latest 2.4.
>>
>> Why? You have a support contract with the vendor and you make them fix
>> the bug in version 2.0.
>
> but, but, than you have pay money, and we just switched to Linux because
> everything is gratis ;-)

I hope not. The point of Linux is freedom and independence, not being just
"free". On the contrary, personally I spent more with Linux (if I value my
time) than with any other OS I used.

Anyway, I would like to focus more on the way we can improve it, starting
from taking a step back and looking at the core architecture.

The package inter-dependency at "RELEASE" level is killing it.

Ideally I would start thinking of a real multi-tiered solution with a
clear separation of concerns, and the establishment of core APIs which
first priority should be to maintain the compatibility with previous
releases.
Too much is now changed from release to release only because of the lack
of proper planning and design of the interfaces.

--
Mauro M.