Proposed changes to Fedora Legacy Project

D Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Thu Jan 19 13:56:48 UTC 2006

redhat at olen.net wrote:
> 2006-01-18 Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net> wrote
>

> One could do one or more of the following:
> - Add a /etc/motd so also the admins of remote systems - only logging in
>   with ssh will get the message

Since PUP is in the process of being written, and yum is more or less a
fedora-focused system, wouldn't this be the best place to address these
sorts of notifications?

Could yum be extended slightly to display (maybe just once whenever it
is changed) a MOTD file from each repository it connects to?  That way,
regardless of how the legacy repos are handled, we can pop up a message
stating that the release has entered maintenance mode, and only security
upgrades will be released from now on.  If PUP can then pass those
messages up to users who are doing updates that way, then we have a way
to send announcements to anyone who is updating their system.  And if
they're not updating their system, we have no real way to reach them
anyway...

I would expect this could have a lot of other benefits, too.
Maintainers of other repositories could pop up notices when there are
issues related to their repos, and rawhide could potentially pop up
notices of major changes (e.g. GCC 4.1 rebuild).  The system has the
potential for abuse by careless repo owners, but it you're adding 3rd
party repos to your system, you're probably not our target audience for
the legacy status notifications anyway.

DC