ubuntu bulletproof x

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Thu Aug 30 13:23:26 UTC 2007

tor, 30 08 2007 kl. 07:36 -0400, skrev Neal Becker:
> http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/08/29/ubuntu-xorg-maintainer-demonstrates-bulletproof-x

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this another copout solution to not
detecting resolution correct or otherwise accidently messing up the
configuration. It seems to be nothing more than a fallback in case X
doesn't do it's job then it presumes that the user actually knows what
hardware he has and what resolution is desired (if my mothers machine
did that she'd run away screaming - definitely not a solution that is
suitable for everyone).

Regardless calling it bulletproof X seems misleading. It also doesn't
really do anything to aid the situation as far as I can see either, it's
not like it opens a bug against the correct X component with all the
logs attached so a developer might have an enjoyable afternoon figuring
out what went wrong so it can be avoided in the future.

It seems to me that "bulletproof" should have meant no crashing and no
misconfigurations.. ever.

- David