Review queue/FESCo after the merge

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Nov 18 14:11:00 UTC 2007

On 16.11.2007 22:15, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 20:07 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
>> With grep, sed, cvs diff and some small adjustments by hand this change
>> could also be done quickly in CVS for all effected packages. I could
>> start now and will likely finished the task for all packages in devel
>> within less then 30 minutes. But nobody does that, as modifying packages
>> that are owned by other people is frowned upon in Fedora land.
>> Such changes therefor often take years to get realized in practice. Is
>> that what we want?
> No; automating these kinds of things is exactly where Fedora should be
> going.

Well, I had no script (besides the bumpspecfile one found at
http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/rebuild-scripts/bumpspecfile.py?root=fedora&view=markup
) and thus did most of it manually, as writing a script for this sort of
one-time change is likely not worth the trouble.

Results from my work:
http://www.leemhuis.info/files/fedorarpms/MISC.fdr/proper-fc-cache-calls.diff

@FESCo: so what do do with this? Commit and don't build? The package
owners should see the commit diff and spot errors if I did any.

> I think we very much want a model based on peer review, collective
> ownership and automation, not personal fiefdoms and manual integer
> increments in text files.

+1, ecpecially to "collective ownership and automation"

> [...]

CU
knurd