The looming Python 3(000) monster

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 19:03:25 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 12:35 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>> I just don't get why any sane person, especially anyone familiar with
>> computer languages, would ever want to give something that is not the
>> same the same name.  Does anyone know how the developer(s) manage this
>> themselves?  I have to think they are keeping multiple concurrent
>> versions installed (and that that is the only reasonable approach).
>
> I'm pretty certain that if you look at any language, they've all faced
> similar scenarios, major version upgrades that may in fact not be
> forward no backward compatible.  People have dealt with it and moved on.
> No language is perfect.

But where the change was anything more than a bugfix they dealt with it
by permitting the old/new languages to run in parallel until everyone
had time to make the necessary changes.  And in the old days of static
compiled binaries and versioned libraries it didn't make such a big
difference since you could keep running your old versions even if the
current compiler couldn't build them.   That doesn't work with
interpreted languages and massive plugin usage - everything has to be
versioned together or kept in separate namespaces.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com