Need advice pertaining to GSoC proposal

Debayan Banerjee debayanin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 07:19:46 UTC 2009

2009/4/7 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com>:

>> 3) Fedora developers want to shield users from adding 3rd party
>> repositories. Users already do that all the time. But Fedora
>> developers dont want to make it any easier for them, else they may
>> open "gates to hell".
>
> This is where your argument breaks down.  There are third party
> repositories that work well with Fedora and third party repositories
> that don't work well with Fedora.
> So I think the majority of opinions here is that such a service would
> not be a big help to Fedora users.  And it could be a big headache.
> This might be a service that could be done outside of Fedora... but I
> think a discussion of that would be a bit offtopic.

And hence I have abandoned all ideas of supporting 3rd party 1 click installs.
I have instead focussed only on official repositories. We can still
add Fedora specific URIs in the package-kit catalog schema. This will
enable one-click-installs for all official Fedora packages with no
security threat at all.