My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 21:36:53 UTC 2009

2009/4/13 Felix Miata <mrmazda at ij.net>:
> On 2009/04/13 13:32 (GMT-0530) Rahul Sundaram composed:
>
>> Regardless of which default setting you prefer, the clear evidence is
>> that people do end up doing it accidentally.
>
> I prefer to think no three key combination can be struck by accident, but
> rather only by incompetence of keyboard design and/or user. There's a limit
> to how far anyone or anything can go to prevent "accidents".
>
> As long as standard keyboards continue to keep some considerable distance
> between any two of those three keys, Ctrl-Alt-BS should by default continue
> to function as it did last century.

Yes please.

If the only reason we are disabling c-a-b is due to the corner case of:

"People who somehow manage to - quite incredibly - push this combo by accident"

then someone is getting patch-happy and this needs a quick revert. The
number of users who hit this by accident will always be less than
those that require it to restart X. It seems clear that the majority
of users require this functionality and that disabling it is not the
best way of improving the X server.

As someone previously put, this increases the number of post-install
operations required - qv. nautilus spatial behaviour. Please don't
bring back the kickstart counter for this as asking users to configure
kickstarts is not sane.

I'm disappointed that despite numerous user requests this has not been
changed back. I'm well aware of the policy to follow upstream as
closely as possible but I believe user experience should override
this.

--
Christopher Brown