config.guess manufacturer string?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Feb 20 11:58:59 UTC 2009

Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 12:39:02PM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
>>> I don't have time to search for them right now, so just a few:
>>> gcc (e.g. libstdc++-v3, libgomp, etc. in it)
>>> glibc
>>> gmp
>>> openssl
>>>
>> Then fix them.
>>

> I don't think it is a bug and I'm not alone in that.
Feel free to do so - I consider this handful of packages to be broken
and abusing the autotools.

>   So why should I change
> them, again?  Because you don't like %configure passing --build?
> Why should upstream projects care?

... because --build is harmful
..., if you were refusing to fix the bugs you are working around by --build.

>>> but in reality sparc-linux is something different from sparcv9-linux
>>> from say sparcv9v-linux
>>>
>> 1. neither sparc-linux nor sparc9c-linux are part of Fedora.
>>
>> 2. sparc/sparcv9-sun-* is _the_ classic example of a multilib'ed
>> environment, using a multilib'ed toolchain.
>>

> sparcv9-linux is 32-bit sparc linux that can run only on 64-bit CPUs.

run ... multi-arching vs. multilibs.

multilibs can be used on arbitrary hosts.

> We aren't going to make i386 vs. i586 separate multilibs.

Mistake.