Feature proposal: Extended Life Cycle Support

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 6 16:20:53 UTC 2009

On 07/05/2009 03:28 AM, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> I wanted to draw your attention to a feature I've proposed for Fedora
> 12, mysteriously called Extended Life Cycle.
>
> You can find more details at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Extended_Life_Cycle

Instead of saying "yet to be determined", put in the actual number of
say 20 months there in the summary upfront.  The FAQ should also answer
"How is this going to succeed, where Fedora Legacy failed?". You should
put in a place for people to sign up for this effort. If more people
volunteer, it would make answer the question on who is actually going to
do this. Is opt-in ELC support for every release or is it going to be an
experimental effort just for Fedora 12 to evaluate feasibility? How
would you prefer to brand it?  Would maintenance of packages be
available for a separate ELC support team if the primary maintainers are
not interested? Do you want to focus on a "core" set of packages instead
of everything? If people had a better handle on what exactly they are
volunteering for, more of them might.

Rahul