Feature proposal: Rebootless Installer

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Tue Jul 14 17:37:28 UTC 2009

On 07/14/2009 11:04 AM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>      2. Imagine after the installation you switch rebootless to the new
>         system and install a kmod. But you are still running the kernel
>         from the installation medium and kmods get installed for the
>         running kernel, which not necessarily needs to be the one that
>         was installed.

Would it be feasible to fetch the current kernel from the 'net (if
possible/permitted) and kexec into it before proceeding with the install?

With liveUSB there's persistence, but is there a way to have a ramdisk
survive kexec for liveCD?

Heck, fetch the latest anaconda too, and get rid of some of the zero-day
problems we have that require respins now.

-Bill

http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Cell: 603.252.2606
Twitter, etc.: bill_mcgonigle   Page: 603.442.1833
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/