Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12 (#2)

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Jun 18 03:15:58 UTC 2009

Chris Adams (cmadams at hiwaay.net) said:
> > > How does this affect multilib on x86_64?
> >
> > It doesn't.
>
> What I meant was what was the impact on running 32 bit binaries on the
> 64 bit OS (e.g. run your benchmarks there as well).

Unless I've completely missed something (always a possiblity), 32-bit
code runs *exactly* the same when the CPU is in 64-bit mode. In the
benchmarks posted, the Athlon64 (and possibly the P4; I'd have to
check later) was actually running in 64-bit mode at the time, even
though the binaries were 32-bit.

Bill