A question about allow_unconfined_mmap_low in f11 amd selinux

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Mon Nov 9 21:24:26 UTC 2009

On 11/09/2009 03:15 PM, Justin wrote:

>>> Bad news!  For maximum protection would want that bool off.  You do not
>>> want to ALLOW unconfined to mmap low memory.
>>>
>>> -Eric
>>
>> Many thanks Eric - I just tried unsetting the boolean -
>> # setsebool -P allow_unconfined_mmap_low 0
>>
>> Excel and Word 2003 still run in Crossover after resetting it without AVCs
>> popping up - I will unset it in the other machines where I have this also -
>> I guess selinux policy may have changed so that setting it as I did originally
>> is no longer necessary.
>
> Really? For me there is no "allow_unconfined_mmap_low" at all and I'm
> definitely still getting the error with any Wine application with
> mmap_low_allowed set to 0.
>
> selinux-policy-3.6.32-41.fc12.noarch

The name has changed between RHEL5 - allow_unconfined_mmap_low and F12 - mmap_low_allowed

The meaning has also changed

in RHEL5

unconfined domains are allowed to mmap_low if the boolean is set.  vbetool and wine are allowed whether or not the boolean is set.

In F12
No domains are allowed to mmap_low unless the boolean is set.   If it is set wine, vbetool and unconfined domains are allowed to mmap_zero.

One of you is running wine in RHEL5 which is allowed to mmap_zero without the boolean.  We changed this in F12 so that wine will break without the boolean set.