Fedora 12 Graphics Issues: Cancel F13 and concentrate on fixing F12 ?

Dave Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Fri Nov 27 20:33:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 13:42 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 08:12:05 +1000,
>   Dave Airlie <airlied at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Why do you think 3D should be working in 2009 as opposed to any previous
> > years btw? I'm interested in the logic that leads to this point.
>
> I think one thing that is changing expectations is ATI providing documentation
> again. I was expecting significant improvements for F12, but near the end I had
> mostly given up on them. Then between the beta and the release some updates
> fixed some issues for me and in the end things are pretty much what I
> expected for radeon support.

The documentation is great, but it doesn't answer every question, its a
guide how a driver for an idealised version of a radeon would look, you
then spend most of the time working in the grey undocumented area
between the ideal GPU the hw guys wanted to produce and the piece of
silicon they ended up shipping.

Also areas like ACPI interaction, suspend/resume, etc are all generally
OEM level things so AMD have nothing to do with it, and really can't
document it.

> The nouveau guys actually did better than I expected since they aren't
> getting any help from nVidia.

Its a double edged sword, knowing you won't get any help, means you
rarely have to wait for anyones help, so you can just do it (though its
really really hard to do), I keep the poor AMD open-source guys under a
heavy snow of information enquiries.

Dave.