Bodhi allows resubmitting an update with different packages?!

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 00:31:32 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Matt McCutchen <matt at mattmccutchen.net> wrote:
> There's another possible explanation for that policy: users who don't
> participate in testing know that any update with an ID went to stable
> and won't be distracted by references to IDs of testing updates in
> various forums.  But actually, I would prefer giving every update an ID.

Clearly you would. And you'd burn through the ID numbering scheme with
no real auditting benefit.

I'll repeat. If a testing package is missing in bodhi...it means its
obsoleted by a newer one.
Bodhi has a search interface which will let you find the newer ones.
The bugzilla tickets have the reference to the newer ones.

Keeping the obsoleted packages in the bodhi interface would only
encourage you to add comments that are no longer relevant..no longer
useful to the maintainer.  Yes its unfortunate that you installed an
outdated testing package. It happens...because testing revisions can
be quite fast paced when maintainers are on the ball and your local
mirror might not sync as fast as others so you are a step or three
behind the current conversation.

And in this case, even if you found the package listing you were
looking for...any comment you would have added...any karma you would
have added..would just be wasted effort because the relevant
conversation had moved on to the newer package.  And we certainly
don't want you to waste even more effort adding karma or a comment on
an obsoleted testing package. We want you using and commenting on the
testing packages that are most current.

-jef