potentially unmaintained packages

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Apr 14 18:01:01 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 09:19 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 17:03:55 -0400 (EDT), Seth wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >   I worked on a script back in January which produced a list of packages
> > that needed to be looked at. The reason was that the pkg had not been
> > built by koji into dist-rawhide by a non-automated process in more than 6
> > months.
>
> Why would it need to be rebuilt manually?
>
> > This list is NOT to shame or embarass anyone. It is only to say:
> >
> > "Hey, this pkg hasn't been built, even in rawhide, in a while, maybe you
> > should 1. check that out and 2. if the pkg is dead or unmaintained
> > consider retiring it."
>
> It's stable, works, and is still being used by dependencies. Would I
> rebuild just for fun (and possibly introduce bugs related to temporary
> issues with compilation, RPM, or other build deps)?

It seems to me that Seth quite carefully wrote his email specifically to
forestall replies of this kind. Apparently it wasn't enough...

It seems quite clear to me that this is just an advisory email about
*possibly* unmaintained packages. If in fact it's not been rebuilt
simply because it doesn't need to be, exactly as the email says, that's
perfectly fine and there's nothing wrong with that. Just ignore it.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey