Shell commands like to OS/2 shell (or MS PowerShell)

Chris Jones chrisjones at comcen.com.au
Tue Apr 20 23:33:07 UTC 2010

>>On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19/04/10 23:51, Slava Zanko wrote:
> >
> > Hi folk,
> >
> > I want to propose new idea about names of command line utilites...
> >
> > For example, all present utilites have sence just for guru's (ls, rm,
> > fsck etc), but for novies it's hard to use.
>
> Bookmark this:
> http://ss64.com/bash/
>
> Less typing, less for novices to forget.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Frank Murphy
> UTF_8 Encoded, Fedora.x86 64-32 Hybrid

I'm against any change. It makes perfect sense the way it is now. And it's
great for those who use both Linux and Unix because most commands are
interoperable between the two platforms. And beyond that, it's fast as a
result of keeping commands short and easy to remember.

I haven't met a newbie yet that is even interested in learning how to
interact with the command-line. They all seem to be some new breed migrating
from Windows and expecting *nix to operate in a 1:1 manner. And for those
who do want to learn it, do exactly that--learn it. It just takes time. Be
patient.

I think there's more important things to focus on regarding Linux
development.

--
Chris Jones
Photographic Imaging Professional and Graphic Designer

Photo Resolutions
Web: http://photoresolutions.freehostia.com
Email: <chrisjones at comcen.com.au>